DO YOU WANT A BRAIN BOOST? There are many foods and nutrients that will nourish the brain and keep it healthy for as long as you live!
- OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS: The brain is 20% fat and needs omega 3’s. DHA, found in omega 3’s, is the most abundant fatty acid in the brain. Eat omega 3 fats daily; such as, flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts or salmon. Take omega 3 supplements if you do not eat the above foods.
- SMART FATS: Eat mono saturated fats; such as avocado, coconut and olives. These foods will help decrease food cravings. Cravings for simple carbohydrates are common; they work havoc on a person’s blood sugar, which in turn negatively affects our brain health.
- BERRIES: Eat organic berries because berries hold onto chemical herbicides and pesticides that can harm our brains. Eat berries daily, blueberries are at the top of the list, but all berries are powerful antioxidants that help keep your gray matter healthy.
- CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES: The cabbage family, especially broccoli, is good for preventing cancer, including brain cancer. Eat a rainbow of vegetables and leafy greens every day to properly nourish your brain. They are high in antioxidants and will also strengthen recall abilities.
- NUTS AND SEEDS: These foods are high in good fats and help prevent brain decline. They are also full of brain protective amino acids, fiber, vitamins and minerals that nourish our brains and keep them happy.
- HERBS AND SPICES: Many spices or herbs such as; turmeric, cilantro, garlic, onion, oregano and saffron have anti-inflammatory properties or detoxing substances that help keep the brain sharp and healthy. Sage is an herb that also helps increase memory and concentration.
- WHOLE GRAINS: Fiber rich whole grains help keep your blood sugar level. Try to eat 25-30 grams of fiber a day, to keep toxic waste moving along. Toxins in the body can cause brain and memory issues.
- WATER: The brain is 80% water, so it is very important to stay hydrated for good brain function. Ideal water intake would be to divide your body weight in half and drink that many ounces of water. (Example, 150lb person would drink 75 oz. per day.) Do you want a brain boost on the go, Think Drink! Water, water, water and more water, especially when hot.
Above all things I wish that you would prosper and be in good health!