Talking about chemicals in our food is a very controversial subject! The farmers often feel they need a certain amount of chemicals in order to protect their crops and have a good harvest. It’s often the case that farmers feel they are between a rock and hard place growing food without chemicals because they might lose crops to infestations of one kind or another.
The food producers or manufacturers feel some chemicals are necessary for shelf life, taste enhancement or looks. There is much pressure by their constituents to provide the best looking, best tasting and longest shelf life possible in order to appeal to more customers and make a profit.
We, at Nature’s Pantry, understand the reasoning behind the chemicals but we have also committed to our customers that we will only sell foods with the least amount of chemicals possible. Below are chemicals to be avoided:
6 bad food chemicals to avoid:
- Monosodium Glutamate: MSG, is a flavor enhancer. Many people may not realize that, despite our knowledge, it is still present in many foods, such as; boxed prepared foods, cheese spreads, soups, condiments, chips, and more. Incredibly, it can even be found in some baby foods as a flavor enhancer. So what does MSG do to your body? It is an “excitotoxin” that excites your cells to the point of damage. This can even cause brain damage, trigger or exacerbate learning disabilities, cause migraines and some believe it may be linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole: BHA is another potential cancer-causing preservative, but it has been deemed safe by the FDA. Its job is to help prevent spoilage and food poisoning, but it’s a major endocrine disruptor and can seriously mess with your hormones. BHA is in HUNDREDS of foods. It’s also found in food packaging and cosmetics. BHA has many aliases. You can look them up. Or you can follow my advice and DITCH processed foods altogether.
- Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Benzoate: These preservatives are sometimes added to soda to prevent mold from growing, but benzene is a known carcinogen that is also linked with serious thyroid damage. Dangerous levels of benzene can build up when plastic bottles of soda are exposed to heat or when the preservatives are combined with ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Don’t risk it, just say no to it!
- Sodium Nitrates and Sodium Nitrites: These two different preservatives are found in processed meats like bacon, lunch meat, and hot dogs. They’re some of the worst offenders, and they’re believed to cause colon cancer and metabolic syndrome, which can lead to diabetes. Protect your health by always choosing fresh, organic meats.
- Artificial Food Colorings: The artificial colors blue 1 and 2, green 3, red 3, and yellow 6 have been linked to thyroid, adrenal, bladder, kidney, and brain cancers. Always seek out foods with the fewest food colors or artificial chemicals , especially when shopping for your kids. Look for color-free medications and natural food products that don’t contain artificial colors like these.
- Glyphosate: According to the ARC, a France-based cancer research arm of the World Health Organization, glyphosate, is used in more than 750 different herbicide products, including Round Up, and its use has been detected in the air during spraying, in water and in food. Experts say there is evidence in humans that the herbicide can cause non-Hodgkins lymphoma and there is convincing evidence that glyphosate can also cause other forms of cancer in rats and mice. ARC’s panel said glyphosate has been found in the blood and urine of agricultural workers, showing the chemical is absorbed by the body.
We should not expose ourselves or our families unnecessarily to unsafe, toxic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides or artificial food colors in our food! Especially not “probable human carcinogens”. For good health, it is best to eat organically grown foods or foods grown with little or no chemicals.
Above all things I wish that you would prosper and be in good health!